FIRST Mentors play a crucial role in the success of a team, acting as the essential ingredient through the children they guide. Their contribution to the achievements of FIRST programs and ultimately to the overall success of FIRST is beyond measure. The amount of time, responsibility, and expertise mentors or coaches bring may vary, but what remains constant is their valuable contribution to the team’s learning, growth, and triumph. FIRST establishes impactful mentorship connections between young individuals and adult mentors and coaches. These mentors come from diverse backgrounds and fields, utilizing their knowledge and expertise to guide students throughout the season. They have the flexibility to dedicate as little or as much time as they can offer to a team.
Who are FIRST Mentors and Coaches?
- Can be a person of any age, teaching others what they know
- Brings either technical or non-technical expertise to the team
- Provides the opportunity for students to learn directly through experiences
- Knows that Mentoring and Coaching is about inspiring and guiding
- Provides students the environment to succeed
- Is patient, supportive, enthusiastic, compassionate and available
- Remembers what’s important – it’s about the kids and they come first